From Amazon to Zoom: An Internet Minute In 2021
In our everyday lives, not much may happen in a minute. But when gauging the depth of internet activity occurring all at once, it can be extraordinary. Today, around five billion internet users exist across the globe.
This annual infographic from Domo captures just how much activity is going on in any given minute, and the amount of data being generated by users. To put it mildly, there’s a lot.
The Internet Minute
At the heart of the world’s digital activity are the everyday services and applications that have become staples in our lives. Collectively, these produce unimaginable quantities of user activity and associated data.
Here are just some of the key figures of what happens in a minute:
- Amazon customers spend $283,000
- 12 million people send an iMessage
- 6 million people shop online
- Instacart users spend $67,000
- Slack users send 148,000 messages
- Microsoft Teams connects 100,000 users
- YouTube users stream 694,000 videos
- Facebook Live receives 44 million views
- Instagram users share 65,000 photos
- Tiktok users watch 167 million videos
As these facts show, Big Tech companies have quite the influence over our lives. That influence is becoming difficult to ignore, and draws increasing media and political attention. And some see this attention as a plausible explanation for why Facebook changed their name—to dissociate from their old one in the process.
One tangible measure of this influence is the massive amount of revenue Big Tech companies bring in. To get (Read more...)