Subscribe to the Elements free mailing list for more like this
Visualizing the World’s Largest Iron Ore Producers
Iron ore comprised roughly 93% of the 2.7 billion tonnes of metals mined in 2021.
It is used primarily (98%) to make steel, with the remaining 2% becoming magnets, auto parts, and catalysts.
Using data from the U.S. Geological Survey, the above infographic lists the world’s largest iron ore producers in 2021.
Pilbara and Carajás Iron Ore
Iron is the fourth most abundant element on the planet after oxygen, silicon, and aluminum, constituting about 5% of the Earth’s crust.
Australia produced 35% of the iron ore mined last year. Almost 90% of identified iron ore resources in the country occur in Western Australia, especially in the Pilbara region.
The large and dry region is known for its Aboriginal peoples and also for its red earth as a result of a chemical reaction of iron exposed to air and water. The three major Pilbara iron ore producers are also among the top mining companies in the world: BHP Group, Rio Tinto Ltd, and Fortescue Metals.
|Country||2021 Production (Tonnes)|
|Other countries||(Read more...)|