Replay — GP and LP Alignment, Challenges for Emerging Fund Managers, and How the Explosion in Seed Fund Volume Plays Out (Jaclyn Hester)
This post is by Nick Moran from The Full Ratchet: VC | Venture Capital | Angel Investors | Startup Investing | Fundraising | Crowdfunding | Pitch | Private Equity | Business Loans
On this special replay, Jaclyn Hester of Foundry Group joins Nick on a special Crisis Coverage installment to discuss GP and LP Alignment, Challenges for Emerging Fund Managers, and How the Explosion in Seed Fund Volume Plays Out. Guest Update: Jaclyn is now Partner at Foundry Group. Congratulations Jaclyn! In this episode, we cover:
- Tell us about your background and path to VC
- For those who don’t know talk about the approach at Foundry with both the LP and GP model
- Foundry traditionally had no apprenticeship model and no junior investors… were you the first?
- Pandemic… Are you making investments currently and what are you hearing from other LPs?
- What’s your advice for GPs re. building relationships and momentum w/ LPs during these uncertain times?
- What’s the biggest mistake emerging managers make when fundraising?
- What do new fund managers underestimate when starting a venture firm?
- Does it matter how specific a thesis is? Do you need to see a unique, focused and compelling edge or are you just as receptive to a generalist w/ a strong network and track record?
- What question tends to trip up GPs?
- What are some of the most important things GPs should ask LPs when raising?
- What do you think are the most important things GPs and LPs need to be aligned on for a successful relationship?
- How does the explosion in volume of seed funds affect you approach to selection?
- How do you think this plays out — most funds fail? Returns more evenly (Read more...)