Top 10 crime movies (based on crime novels)
It is too cold (relatively speaking) and gray to go out — a perfect day for either reading a whodunnit or watching an excellent crime flick. Thankfully, folks from CrimeReads created a list of the top ten movies adapted from crime novels. I have watched eight out of these ten recommendations. If you have any other films to add to the mix, let me know — either on Twitter or in the comments section below.
- The Maltese Falcon (adapted from the novel by Dashiell Hammett.)
- The Big Sleep (adapted from the novel by Raymond Chandler.)
- Out of the past (adapted from Geoffrey Homes’ novel, Build My Gallows High.)
- Strangers on a train (adapted from Patricia Highsmith’s first novel.)
- In the heat of the night (adapted from a novel by John Ball.)
- The Godfather (adapted from the book by Mario Puzo.)
- The Godfather Part 2 (adapted from the book by Mario Puzo.)
- Devil in a blue dress (adapted from Walter Mosely’s debut novel.)
- LA Confidential (adapted from a book by James Ellroy.)
- Mystic River (adapted from Dennis Lehane’s book.)
I have read all of the books except the Mystic River, which I thought was a great movie. I found that books far exceeded the adaptations, but I am biased towards the written word. I have not seen “Out of the past,” and “In the heat of the night.” They are on my watchlist.