281. Overlooked Opportunity in EdTech, Letting the Entrepreneur Be the Guide, and Defy’s Sage Program (Neil Sequeira)
This post is by Nick Moran from The Full Ratchet: VC | Venture Capital | Angel Investors | Startup Investing | Fundraising | Crowdfunding | Pitch | Private Equity | Business Loans
Neil Sequeira of Defy joins Nick to discuss Overlooked Opportunity in EdTech, Letting the Entrepreneur Be the Guide, and Defy’s Sage Program. In this episode, we cover:
- Walk us through your background and path to VC.
- Remind us of the thesis at Defy.
- Tell us a little about your team at Defy. How it has grown and evolved and all of the things each person brings to the table which makes the firm stronger?
- What do you think is one of the most underappreciated skills of the great venture investor?
- How do you think founders have changed since you first started investing, if at all?
- Why is leading a round of financing and ownership important to venture capital firms?
- At the later stages and growth stages, what's the biggest risk or mistake you've seen founders make when bringing on investors, and/or what's the biggest issue that investors may impose that causes issues?
- What resources would you recommend to the listeners that you found valuable on founding startups or being a long-term sustaining venture investor?
- What do you need to get better at?
- What is the best way for listeners to connect with you?