277. Raising a Fund via General Solicitation & Twitter, How Rolling Funds Can Disadvantage LPs, and Facing the Reality of Diversity in VC (McKeever “Mac” Conwell II)
This post is by Nick Moran from The Full Ratchet: VC | Venture Capital | Angel Investors | Startup Investing | Fundraising | Crowdfunding | Pitch | Private Equity | Business Loans
McKeever "Mac" Conwell II of RareBreed Ventures joins Nick to discuss Raising a Fund via General Solicitation & Twitter, How Rolling Funds Can Disadvantage LPs, and Facing the Reality of Diversity in VC. In this episode, we cover:
- Walk us through your background and path to VC
- What’s the thesis at RareBreed Ventures?
- Why did you start RareBreed Ventures?
- Tell me about the fundraise... when did you first kickoff and then start getting momentum?
- Have you gotten better at raising over time? What have you improved most?
- What resonates w/ LPs, what do you get pushback on?
- What's been the biggest surprise in the process so far?
- Optimistic, pessimistic or neutral on diversity in VC over the next decade?
- Twitter -- blowing up, what's working so well?
- Rolling fund vs. not... why?
- Thoughts on thesis and portfolio construction...
- What's the ideal fund size for your stage and strategy?
- Founders... biggest mistake you see early stage founders make
- Gives us a snapshot of Rarebreed in 3 years... how about 7 years?