205. Unicorn vs Pegasus, The Softbank Effect, & Impacts of a Recession on VC (Jason Calacanis)
This post is by Nick Moran from The Full Ratchet: VC | Venture Capital | Angel Investors | Startup Investing | Fundraising | Crowdfunding | Pitch | Private Equity | Business Loans
Jason Calacanis joins Nick to discuss Unicorn vs Pegasus, The Softbank Effect, & Impacts of a Recession on VC. In this episode, we cover:
- Last time we had you on the show was July 2017. What big things have happened over the past (almost) three years with yourself and Launch?
- Last time you talked a bit about the "Goldilocks zone"... sort of that post-seed, pre-A round. Is that still the stage getting most focus from you?
- I read an article where you suggested that SoftBank is changing the way Silicon Valley thinks about going public.
- What are the biggest positive effects you've seen from the Vision Fund?
- What about negatives and adverse effects?
- The volume of startups seems to be ever increasing... Any advice for founders on how to stand out?
- Lots of people talking about an upcoming recession in 2020. If a recession were to hit, what happens to venture? How do you think it could potentially impact startups as well as investors or VCs?
- How does your investment strategy change in a recession?
- Anything founders should should do to prepare for a correction?
- As part of the fallout from WeWork... I've been hearing a lot of VCs talk about a shift from growth at all costs to a focus on profitability. Are these empty words or are you seeing a material change amongst VCs?
- Want to get your input on investment and selection...
- First off, in the book, if memory serves, you suggest angels should focus exclusively on (Read more...)