180. The Self-Made Engineer, Angel, and Venture Capitalist (Cyan Banister)
This post is by Nick Moran from The Full Ratchet: VC | Venture Capital | Angel Investors | Startup Investing | Fundraising | Crowdfunding | Pitch | Private Equity | Business Loans
Cyan Banister of Founders Fund joins Nick to discuss the Self-Made Engineer, Angel, and Venture Capitalist. In this episode, we cover:
- So, Cyan you have a really interesting story and background that led you to where you are today. Feel free to start wherever makes most sense but can you talk about your life experience and how it led you to where you're at now?
- You spoke publicly about your early life at the 2018 TechCrunch Disrupt conference, from living on the streets to becoming a venture capitalist, tell us about this incredible journey, what you accredit your success to and how it lead to venture?
- Where along the way did you meet Scott? Did you guys every consider raising your own fund?
- How early are you able to go at Founder's Fund?
- How do you work with founders post-investment?
- Judicious with your magic bullets?
- Have you funded founders with non-traditional backgrounds or missions dedicated to folks living in poverty or providing access to upward mobility?
- How has your approach changed from your time as an angel to now your experience as a VC ?
- Do you have any good stories or learnings from Naval?
- Prior to FF you were an early stage investor in successful companies like Uber, Postmates, PayPal at others... I know you invest alongside Scott... who started angel investing?
- What was your early approach to angel investing and how were you able to source and select such iconic tech companies at very early stages?
- Can (Read more...)