Dave McClure is the founding partner of 500 Startups, who have made over 1500 investments in the likes of Twilio, SendGrid, Intercom and Makerbot just to name a few. Prior to 500 Dave was on the investment team at Founders Fund, he also led the Facebook Fund Incubator and was Head of Marketing @ Paypal pre IPO.
In Today’s Episode with Dave You Will Learn:
- How Dave made his way into VC and came to found 500 Startups?
- Do you need unicorn exits to have significant venture returns? What is the 500 view with regards to the hit ratio of finding unicorns?
- How much ownership does 500 typically take? Does this allow Dave enough of a right to follow on in further rounds with such a small initial slice?
- How does Dave and 500 avoid the inherent signalling risk involved with their fund and accelerator? How prominent is signalling today’s market?
- What did Dave think of Sam Altman’s statement on YC not accepting companies from other accelerators? How does Dave view YC companies?
Items Mentioned In Today’s Show:
Dave’s Most Recent Investment: Markhor
Eve make 1 perfect mattress – made with 3 layer technology and next generation memory foam. It comes packaged in a beautiful box and arrives the day after you order. You get 100 nights to try it with free return pick-up – it really is the perfect mattress for everyone. Just go online to evemattress.co.uk and enter the code 20VC for £50 off. Everybody deserves the perfect start with Eve.